Where is your money going? (1)
If you spent money to charity you want it to be well spent, isn’t it?
So, let us tell you where your funds are going. We choose two different charities as fundraising goals, Tomoka Support and DeepWave.
First let us tell about Tomoka Support and what they have done in the last 5 years (and the first 5 years of their existence).
In the past years thee main projects have taken place in Avégamé (Togo); wells for safe drinking water have been build, new latrines have been build, the school builing has been renovated.
The major problem in our target Area is the total lack of water. In the rainy season, people drink turbid unsafe water, which collects in pools. In the dry season, women walk a distance of 5 (!) kilometers and more in search of water from a small river.
Thanks to fundraising by Tomoka Support the financing for the construction of wells has been realised. The community can now boost of 3 water wells. This has greatly reduced the suffering of women and children who do not have to walk very long distances before having water. Since the construction of the wells equipped with rope pumps, the local community has informed us that their children have less diarrhea related incidents. The community thanks Tomoka Support for its assistance which helps us achieve our goals. They pray that STS will assist us to progressively increase that number of water wells and reduce further the walking distance to access of potable water.
The local population of Avégamé and the Kpékpéta Zone, had no latrine before the beginning the Tomoka project activities in the area. Improper disposal of feaces leads to diseases, especially during the rainy season. Hence the importance of latrines. In order to reduce diseases, water and latrines should go hand i.e. proper hygiene and sanitation
significantly reduces the number of diseases. With Tomoka Supports funding, the community built the first community Latrine in Avégamé. Even before the commissioning of the latrine, Tomoka received numerous requests from the local population in and around Avégamé requesting for more latrines in the area. We hope this is the beginning of a beautiful journey, of latrine construction in our target area.
Before the Tomoka Support intervention, the Avégamé hamlet had a Primary School built by local initiative (EDIL in French), totally unknown to the National authorities of Education.
The school did not even have all the 6 Primary School levels required of a Primary School. It had only one teacher, who was hardly ever paid a salary. The School lacked teaching materials. In short, the school existed only in name.
In the past 5 years of Tomoka Support donations to Tomoka’s intervention of Improving Primary Education, the Primary School in Avégamé ( EDIL Avégamé), has made remarkable progress.
- From a single teacher, the School now boosts of 3 teachers. Each teaches two of the six class levels. Tomoka intends to have 6 teachers-one per class level as is required by the Ministry of Education.
- A salary supplement to the three teachers at the end of each month. This has led to teacher retention at the school.
- Donations of books and reading materials to enhance pupil vocabulary
- Maintaining existing new functioning levels with the help of Lesson Plan Aids, Teaching Aids & Learning Materials for Pupils
- Improvement of education equipment with solar lamps for evening lesson revision by pupils and lesson preparation by teachers
- The official recognition of the EDIL Avégamé School by the National Authorities of Education, and its eligibility to receive government subventions like a qualified teacher as School Director, whose salary is paid by the government.
- Incorporation of relevant rural competences into the curriculum with the fruit trees and school garden
In short the money you donate is well spent, and a lot of people and childern will benefit by your donation to Tomoka Support!
Please do check the website of Tomoka Support and stay informed by liking their Facebook site